Scholarship Philosophy Statement

Nebraska Wesleyan University is a community dedicated to intellectual and personal growth, as well as excellence in all aspects of academia. My fellow students, faculty, and staff continuously support me in working towards achieving these prestigious goals. I expect my professors to be present, understanding, and easily accessible. In class discussion should lead to new and exciting discoveries. For my classmates, I expect the highest level of respect, professionalism, and peer support. In the music department at NWU, we are a family, and I expect my family to be open to sharing differing opinions, showing kindness towards others, and engaging in a significant way during our time together.

Recognizing academic weaknesses is a valuable tool in my learning experience. Addressing scholarly flaws helps others feel empowered and supported, while also connecting them on a deeper level. Reflecting on a shared experience allows other students and professors to cultivate a comfortable and supportive learning environment. Within my sphere of influence, I know I have the potential to touch people’s lives in a positive way. I will use my knowledge, skills, and caring heart to help my “family” in any way I can.

My academic and scholarly goals inform my life’s journey and dreams in a number of ways. During my time at Nebraska Wesleyan University, I have developed a myriad of skills necessary for a successful academic and professional career. Drive, passion, and hard work are all very important academic strengths I pride myself on. The dream of one day becoming a music therapist continuously motivates me to work hard and achieve academic excellence. I am blessed to go to such a prestigious institution, and I know my strong dedication and tactfulness will allow me the chance to change lives with the power of music.