Professional Philosophy Statement

Music therapy enhances individuals’ lives and fosters positive emotional, physical, and psychological growth. I witnessed this growth firsthand while working with an autistic six year old this summer. At the first strum of the guitar, Jeremiah’s face lit up, the deep wrinkles in his forehead smoothed out, and a sense of calm rushed over him. Music gave Jeremiah the chance to regulate his emotions and dwell in the happiness of sound. This experience solidified my dream to one-day help people heal through the power of music.

Music has the ability to touch emotions, influence moods, and bring people together. Having a caring heart and loving soul is vital to helping clients strengthen their abilities and improve their overall well-being. As a music therapist, I will strive to make my love for others radiate through every aspect of my life.  Music therapists provide treatment possibilities including creating, singing, moving to, and/or listening to music. Through this profession, it is vital to feel empowered and fulfilled when others are healed due to the care and kindness they have been shown.

Within this health profession, music is used as a therapeutic method to address physical, emotional, cognitive, and social needs of individuals. Integrity, hard work, tenacity, and a driving passion to succeed will aid in assessing the strengths and needs for each clients' success. What you give to the universe is what you receive in return. The dream of one day participating in the health profession of music therapy continuously motivates me to work hard and achieve academic excellence.

Teaching piano lessons, instructing daycare music classes, guiding a youth praise team, and leading music at church offer me the chance to gain indirect experience for my future career. These experiences help grow and refine my musical abilities, increasing my potential as a successful music therapist. In addition, I hold numerous leadership positions at Nebraska Wesleyan University within a large variety of organizations. Immersing myself in courses over a variety of disciplines while also engaging in various music lessons and ensembles also support this effort. With this level of involvement and commitment, I have learned the value of time management, communication, connection, and patience. This is important because music therapy provides avenues for communication that can be helpful to those who find it difficult to express themselves in words.

It is proven that music helps improve emotional well-being and enhances sensitivity to the needs of others. I hope to one day expose my clients to the power of music. This will help them to realize how music plays an essential role in the development of social skills and psychological health, so that they may realize their true potential.