Leadership Statement

Leadership is a unique, evolving, and empowering skill. I believe leadership comes with having the ability to guide others without force in a direction that leaves them feeling accomplished and happy. I value the incredible leadership opportunities I am able to participate in on campus and in my community. At Nebraska Wesleyan University, I take great joy in volunteering as a New Student Orientation Leader. This position allows me to guide incoming students during their first few days on campus. From demonstrating how to use their mailboxes to teaching the new students the importance of going to class, I am given the chance to influence the beginning of their college experience and motivate them to achieve physical, spiritual, and emotional well-being, while always striving for academic success. Being the secretary of the Music Honorary Fraternity Mu Phi Epsilon has given me the opportunity to professionally connect with students, faculty, and staff, further growing my leadership skills. In addition, I find enjoyment in leading members of Willard Sorority as Song Chair and Courtesy Chair. Having the trust and support of my peers allows me to grow in my leadership abilities. In addition, co-creating an Archway Seminar with music professor Dr. Spilker has given me a whole new outlook on what it means to be a leader. Sometimes the best way to lead is not by instructions, but by example. I work to positively influence people within my sphere of influence and support them in a way that helps them to feel empowered and loved.

The community of Lincoln has shaped my life in a number of ways and allowed me to hold various leadership positions. As a teacher and music instructor at Trinity Infant and Childcare Center, I lead children in singing, playing, and dancing to numerous genres of music. I have learned the skill of radiating a positive energy to a classroom of elementary students in order to guide them in feeling empowered by participating in music activities. I have also learned to be more creative, spontaneous, and outgoing—all skills I now value as a leader in the community. I have grown in these skills by working with children in my private piano studio. I have 10 students who take part in the Hamlow Elementary After-School Program. All of these children have had an incredible influence on how I teach and guide others in developing a love and passion for music. Working at the First United Methodist Church in Lincoln, NE has also opened my eyes to a new kind of leadership. At the church, I work as a choir member, soloist, head cantor, soprano section leader, and youth worship leader. I am constantly striving to improve my leadership skills and strive to better the lives of those who are under my guidance. Ultimately, leadership is the art of serving others by equipping them with the tools necessary for success, as well as giving them your honest care, time, energy, and emotional intelligence so that they can realize their full potential. I hope to reflect these numerous leadership skills in my future career as a music therapist.